The purpose of the Teacher of the Year contest is to recognize the outstanding conservation education efforts of Mississippi’s Teachers. All teachers grades K-6 and 7-12 in public, parochial, and private schools in Mississippi are eligible to participate in the program.
- Educators must be teaching full time in the classroom.
- Educators must personally be responsible for developing a conservation education program.
- An educator’s nomination must be endorsed by the SWCD in which he or she is teaching.
- Teachers who are SWCD officials cannot compete, but associate officials may.
- Educators who submit an entry and do not win may resubmit their entries the following year.
- Team educators are eligible, but awards will only be made to the designated leader.
- Nominations can be made by anyone in the district or the educator themselves.
- Educators who meet the eligibility requirements may enter the contest.
- Fill out the entry form and have it signed by the chairperson of the local conservation district.
- Submit a typewritten narrative which addresses the five sections below “Content of Narrative.”
- Include in a standard one-inch three ring binder the following four items below:
TWO LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION
SUPPORTING INFORMATION (i.e.,:photos, activity sheets)
Content of Narrative:
Narratives must be typewritten and double-spaced on one side only of 8½” x 11” paper.
Font must not be smaller than 12 point. Narratives must address the five sections below and each section should not exceed two pages.
- Describe your program for involving students in the betterment of natural resources.
- List and describe the areas of study incorporated in your conservation education program.
- Describe any assistance received from community organizations or resource specialists from local, state, or federal agencies or organizations.
- Explain how the program is being extended to other grades, other areas, and to people in the community.
- Document how your students have applied their knowledge of natural resource conservation to individual groups, schools and community projects.
2019 Teacher of the Year K-6 Guidelines and Entry Form
2019 Teacher of the Year 7-12 Guidelines and Entry Form